Plans and Inspirations



0 comments


In December, Caló Gitano taught a flamenco class, and performed at the SalsAtlanta Christmas party.



Today, I took a ballet class - and my first pointe class in a very long time.    In fact, it was my second pointe class in my entire life.   And I loved every moment of it!

Well... every moment except the last five minutes, where I realized I was fighting my twenty-year old shoes, that were fitted when my feet were half a size larger and far less flexible.   So tomorrow, I am going shopping for new pointe shoes.  

I really am committing to this.    We are working on a number of concepts for future shows at Caló Theatre, and while we are a flamenco dance theatre, there is a character that I will be playing, and I would love to see that character up on pointe.    It's an idea that has been buzzing around the back of my mind, and I really want to do it.    I am giving myself a year to see just how far I can go with this.



Puss-in-Boots and the White Cat from the Royal Ballet's "Sleeping Beauty"



Plans


So a few posts ago, I made some high-and-mighty sounds about only having one New Year's Resolution.   I have a confession to make:  I have another.   It is a sort of 'montage' of everything I would like to do, and improve in my life.    Basically, it boils down to this one resolution:

Make Myself a Force To Be Reckoned With.

How I dress.   How I comport myself.    My manners.   My work in the fine arts.   My attitude.  When I walk into a classroom, or at an audition, or onstage, I want to be the best person there.    Or at the very least... the best version of myself that I can possibly be.

This resolution exists because I realized that there is a definite dichotomy in how people view me, and the person I actually am.    After Olelucia, I had so many people - people that I know, that I thought knew me -  come up to me and express blatant shock that I can sing, or act, or dance, or write a script, or direct a damn show - that I realized that I am not really projecting my own, real image to the world.    I've been letting people underestimate me.   

I try not to get to wrapped up in self-image or what other people think - but I truly believe some of these people thought I couldn't find my way out of a paper bag - and that thought infuriates me.   And then, too, there is this:   if you are a force to be reckoned with, it gives you leverage when negotiating a salary, or landing a role in a show, or saying 'no' to the drama of others.

So that is my plan for 2013.

Some inspirations


Suzanne Farrell and Jacques D'Amboise in "Meditations" 







I don't know who this is, or who took the photo, but the effect is stunning!





This is possibly the most brilliant thing I have ever seen.




I have two gorgeous cheongsam dresses.   I think I am going to pull those out sometime soon and wear them.


.  









0 comments:

Post a Comment

newer post older post