My Big Wardrobe Surprise...



0 comments
My last several posts have been about my experiences as I work my way through Marie Kondo's amazing book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up:  The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing.

If you have not yet read this book, I hope you will, because this book truly is all that it says:  life-changing, and magic.

So far, I have gone through clothing both at my place, and JC's.   At JC's, I've also sorted through the books, (most of the) papers, bathroom cabinets, and most of the kitchen.   I've learned so much along the way, and I've found myself continually astonished at the transformation.   

I feel like I have room to breathe, to move, and to think.

When I began the KonMari Method a few weeks ago, clothing was the first thing I tackled.   I held every article of clothing, every pair of shoes, every belt, bag, pieces of jewelry, and I asked myself, "Does this spark joy?"

If the answer was yes, I kept it.

In the weeks that have passed, I can honestly say that dressing has never been easier, in my entire life.  Everything fits.  Most things go together beautifully.   I love everything I put on!   When I open a drawer, or walk in the closet, I know that whatever I pick up or take off a hanger, is going to make me feel great.   I don't obsess anymore about having some specific style or style descriptor.   I don't worry that something in my closet isn't my style.   I simply ask myself "Does this spark joy?" ** 

**(Let me note that I have also learned to dress for the weather.  And that Weather Channel is full of lies and deceit and it is best to assume that the wind chill will make it feel ten degrees colder than whatever Weather Channel is saying).

The real surprise for me, is that I have discovered a uniformity and consistency in what I wear, and I love that!   It means that I can get dressed, and then move on with my day.   I don't have to sit and ponder (okay, obsess) that I should have worn something else, or fidget that something doesn't fit, or fret that it wasn't the look I was going for.   Instead, I put on things that spark joy, and I get on with my life.

Here are some photos of some of my favorite outfits from the past couple of weeks.   I know, I know... they're selfies.   In an exciting turn of events, I unearthed a tripod I forgot we had, while sorting a closet.   So I am going to figure out the timer on my camera and (hopefully) start taking some nicer pictures, that don't entail using the short-round mirror.

So... take a moment, have a good chuckle at my selfies, and have a great day!   ~xoxo


I wore this to meet and rehearse a scene with a friend from my acting class.

I wore an unlined rain jacket, cap and gloves with this outfit.   I lurrrrrrved this outfit, until I got outside and realized Weather Channel was about 7-10 degrees off because they neglected to mention the icy wind that managed to collapse my umbrella twice, before pulling it inside out.   So while I loved my outfit, it was a sodden, wet fail for this particular day.   Also, the Tod's bag?   Not quite as waterproof as one might expect for the price.   It did dry out quickly though.

I promise, this outfit did not look quite so goofy in person!   I wore this yesterday to acting class and two dance classes.   I am wearing a ton of clothes here:  three layers of tops, two pairs of dance tights, some leggings made out of scuba material, and boots.   And, of course, underpinnings...

...and then I added a glazed leather jacket, cap, and gloves, and was perfectly warm.  I wound up wearing most of this through the dance classes, and peeling off layers of sweaters.

This was an outfit I wore on one of those days where it seemed like I drove all over Atlanta doing work-related errands.   In truth, I wore this necklace twice since my initial clothing purge, only to realize that, while I thought it sparked joy, it kept me from wearing other necklaces that I truly love.   So I am going to say farewell to this particular necklace.

Same outfit, but with a suede leather moto, checkered scarf and my trusty cadet cap.   I have seven or eight other winter hats, but this is the one I always seem to grab.

This has been one of my favorite outfits, worn for an evening out.   Apparently my outfit was a hit, because I have never had so many septuagenarians, and one very persistent garlicky and overperfumed Frenchman, lay on such terrible pick-up lines.

Little did I know when I took this picture, that a few hours later, that smile would look (be) a lot more pasted-on...

This was one of my favorite outfits I have worn in 2015.   I recycled the jacket and jeans from the previous outfit, and changed tops to a bodysuit + embellished sweater, and different heels.   I wore this for acting class, and then out to lunch with a bunch of my classmates after.   I got a lot of compliments.








0 comments:

Post a Comment

newer post older post