Thoughts on KonMari, and Minimalism.



1 comments
It has been just over four months since I did my first tidying + discarding session.   Now, four months into the process, I am about 3/4 of the way finished at my condo, and about 2/3 done at JC's.   The impact, already, has been tremendous...

When I walk into my place, I feel a surge of happiness, of peace, and well-being.   All is right, in my well-ordered little universe.


I am still working on JC's place, as I brought over a bunch of clothing and shoes that I am photographing and listing on eBay - and it's junking up the joint.   My goal is to have everything sorted and listed by one week from today.

Otherwise, his place is starting to really shape up !  I often think about what sort of place we would have, if we lived overseas - London, Paris, maybe even someplace tiny and tropical - and ways in which we could downsize what we have, still maintaining a well-oiled routine.   Especially with kitchen and laundry.   What would we have?   What would I want to bring with me?   My piano for sure.

In either case, I have a better grasp of what I own, and where everything is.   What's more, I find I am deriving greater enjoyment and satisfaction out of my surroundings!


So far, I have tidied and discarded:

  • Clothing, shoes, bags, accessories, jewelry
  • Books
  • Papers & Records
  • CDS & DVDs
  • Old photos (I must have thrown away about 500 photos of blurry landscapes that I couldn't identify)
  • Some nostalgia items
  • Linens
  • Kitchenware


I still have:

  • Papers & Records (down to about 1/3 of what I previously had)
  • Photos (going to take another pass at these)
  • Nostalgia items
  • Kitchenware
  • Music Scores & Equipment
  • Costumes and Props


And I want to do a second pass over my wardrobe, books, and CDs.

But my point in writing this post is not to outline what remains, or what is left to do.   It is to talk about how all of this feels.

It feels pretty freakin' GOOD!

I never imagined I would be anything approaching a minimalist.   I used to say "I want to be less of a maximalist".   And in truth, I am still not a minimalist.

But I feel I am getting there, one donated, sold, or gifted away item at a time.

These days, I feel so liberated, so free.

I find I have less incidental, undefined anxiety.

I don't sweat the smaller things like I did four, five, six months ago.

I am more patient with people.   I used to think patience was a myth.   Now I realize, patience is the reward of letting go of the unnecessary, physically, mentally, and spiritually.

I am more accepting of others, for who they are, and I am more accepting of myself, for who I am.

It feels awesome!

My goal in the coming months - by mid-July - is to finish KonMari.   I look forward to seeing what remains - although in truth, I don't know that I will ever truly be finished.   There will always be areas to sort, tidy, discard, declutter, just as there will always be things to learn, and ways to grow.   For myself, I would like to be at a point - physically, mentally, spiritually, financially - where, if the opportunity came along, JC and I could pack up and go see the world, at a moment's notice.

There is still a lot to be done, but I can see that little glow on the horizon, and it's exciting!






1 comments:

Antonella at: August 1, 2015 at 5:38 AM said...

I found your blog when googling konmari and read all of your entries about the process. So inspiring! I esp. liked the feelings of freedom and ease you discovered, totally want to get there! Love the idea of being able to travel the world at a moment's notice because of how streamlined your life and your possessions are. It all boils down to intentional living, right? Great job!
Hugs from Italy

Post a Comment

newer post older post