Resolutions for 2016 - Part One, The Fluffy Stuff



1 comments
I always want to roll my eyes at New Year's Resolutions.  I like to think I'm above all that frantic, frenzied, inescapable  "I'm gonna change everything about me and be a whole new different person" babbling that makes me look forward mid-January and its inevitable die-down.

Haha, I'm not.   Five weeks of orgiastic feasting and partying is done.  Everybody's packed up their toys and headed home.  What else is there to do?

I did a post on the You Look Fab forums last year, outlining my style resolutions for 2015.  They were pretty good, and I mostly stuck to them, so I'm keeping them for 2016.


In a nutshell, these were/are my style goals:

1.  My overarching goal is to continue culling and simplifying my wardrobe - CHECK! 

I did a massive closet purge this year (thanks, Marie Kondo!).   I'm going to continue this process in 2016:  go back through my closet, and tackle the other closet, which houses theatrical costumes, and formalwear.


2.   To be impeccably groomed - hair cut and color, nails, mascara, lip gloss, and perfume - CHECK!

I was very good about this, even on most days spent working from home.  Gonna keep up the good work.


3.   To keep my wardrobe in good condition, visiting the tailor and the cobbler as needed - CHECK!

I had half a dozen pairs of beloved shoes re-soled and repaired, and a handful of items altered.   I did clothing repairs myself:  darning holes, fixing ripped seams, re-sewing buttons.

Of the items I had professionally altered, I found that I wore skirts and pants that were altered, but ended up getting rid of altered dresses after one, or no wears.   I had three leather skirts repaired or taken in by a tailor, and I wear those regularly, so I can see where getting leather separates altered is well worth the money.

For 2016, I mean to take on some simple alterations myself, including shortening hems, slimming skirts and tops, and adding lace or beading to certain items.


4.  To stay true to my personal style, as outlined on my Pinterest boards - KIND OF.  

Until recently, I was still struggling to define and express my style.   That nut cracked open for me this past month, when I was introduced to Betony Vernon's jewelry line.   For 2016, I want to pursue Betony's theme of 'Sado Chic', expanded to an all-encompassing wardrobe concept.  

Under this umbrella of Sado Chic, I want to include a bit of safari + dieselpunk (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade), Chinoiserie motifs, and an Italian retro look.  Dolce and Gabbana best sums up my idea of Italian Retro, in their A/W 2015 line.

My other challenge for 2016, will be translating these ideas into hot-weather clothing.  Last year was difficult because JC bought a convertible, and I took up swimming.   I spent more time outdoors than I ever have, since childhood.  I have fair, freckly skin that burns fast.   I want clothing that will allow me to stay cool and covered, and resists damage and staining from sunscreen - AND aligns with my Sado Chic style concept.


5.   To take more photos of the outfits I wear, and to track these outfits in my Excel spreadsheet - KIND OF.

In my spreadsheet, I note the date, what I did that day, what I wore, my happiness factor, and idea tweaks for the next time I wear the outfit.   I do this for reference, so that if I need an outfit and I'm stuck, I can say 'Oh yeah, I wore this one outfit and LOVED it'.   It's pretty useful.

The only thing is, I haven't regularly notated these outfits, the way I have in previous years.  

I also tried on everything in my closet, back in August, and photographed myself, which helped me purge a LOT of items.   I also took photos of many of my outfits, but again, it was kind of sporadic.

And as it turned out, I lost all of those photos, because my built-in mouse on my laptop started failing and I somehow dragged and 'lost' the folder, either on my laptop, or in our shared network.  Which  is a compelling argument for why one should never allow someone to take naked pictures of oneself.

For 2016, I want to try and keep documenting my outfits in Excel and photographing, but I'm not going to make it priority.


I also have a few more things to add to my list for 2016:

6.   I want to build up a better dancewear/loungewear wardrobe.

7.   I want to learn to do more advanced sewing alterations.

8.  I want to design and sew three types of bras for myself:  

  •     A convertible front-plunge bra, that allows for a plunge-back dress or top.
  •     A strapless bra that actually lifts, instead of squashing my boobs downwards.
  •     A compression bra to sleep in, that looks like lingerie, instead of being sporty.   

I wear a 30-32DD or E-cup, and have not found anything that fits any of these categories for me.  I anticipate that this resolution will stretch into 2017.

What I'm not planning to do in early 2016:   Another capsule wardrobe.  I enjoyed the experiment this fall, learned a lot, but it took up a good bit of time in planning/agonizing.   I have other things to focus on right now, but I may repeat the experience later this year.


So what about you?   Have you made any resolutions for 2016?

1 comments:

Pret a Porter P at: January 2, 2016 at 11:06 PM said...

What about Dita von Tease as style inspiration too? She sounds like she would fall into the category of the look you're going for. Good job on visiting the tailor/cobbler.

Post a Comment

newer post older post