The Whole 30: Days Two and Three



0 comments
Please note that I receive no compensation, monetary or otherwise, from Whole30 or any affiliates. 

Sunday, JC woke up with a bad headache.   It lasted 48 hours.   He woke up today (Tuesday), feeling a lot better.    He said it felt almost like a migraine last night.  He hasn't had any caffeine since Friday.

Day Two:

On Sunday, I had located a "Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage" to put in my coffee.   It was terrible.   Watery.  I poured some in a glass, and it tasted like... white.   If despair had a flavor, it would be this stuff.   I drank less than a cup of coffee with this, and then I had black tea.

Dumbass that I am, I had bought two cartons of this tasteless misery - one for my place, and one for JC's.

I did find, however, that The Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage worked much better in the coffee I have at JC's.   I have Starbucks Italian Roast at my place, and Lavazza at JC's.   Lesson learned:  Lavazza is a better coffee all-around, whether drunk black, or with 'liquid white despair'.

Over the course of Day Two, I felt dragging and unmotivated.   Mid-afternoon, I suddenly had a burst of energy that lasted eight hours, until I got suddenly sleepy around 10:30.   Olympics were on, so I made myself stay up and watch for another hour.

Day Two Meals:

Breakfast:  Two eggs, over-easy, an Aidell's Chicken and Apple Sausage, and a cup of blueberries and strawberries

Lunch:  I didn't eat lunch.  I grazed:  two bananas, a tablespoon of almond butter, some blueberries, and a couple of bites of leftover meatloaf.   I have to work on the lunch thing.

Dinner:   I improvised a fried chicken dish with chicken thighs, egg, almond flour, lemon juice + zest, garlic and onion.   It was kind of meh.   We had leftover sweet potatoes with this, and a salad (lettuce, tomato, avocado, red onion, balsamic vinegar dressing that I made myself).


Day Three:  When I woke up yesterday, I felt pretty good.  I slept well, and woke up easily.   Then something strange happened:  I had a sudden caffeine withdrawal headache, that disappeared on its own ten minutes later.

Breakfast:  One hardboiled egg, an apple, and coffee

Let me note - this breakfast was not Whole30 compliant.   To be a proper breakfast requires several eggs, or a source of protein that is the size of one or two of my palms, plus enough vegetables to fill the rest of the plate, plus a piece of fruit, if I want.   I'm still getting used to breakfast.   I don't usually eat in the morning.

I went to the Farmers Market, and did a bunch of shopping.   I found compliant coconut milk, coconut cream and bacon!   Happy day!

Lunch:    I still wasn't feeling terribly hungry.   I had two handfuls of diced coconut, another hardboiled egg, and two figs.

Dinner:   I felt like I hit this one out of the park:  I made a Buffalo Chicken Salad with Grilled Fries and Ranch.   This was fabulous!  One caveat, I did not realize there is a difference between EVOO, and "Light-Tasting" Olive Oil.   I used EVOO, so the ranch dressing has a noticeable olive flavor.  Still very good though.  I also had two more figs.   JC declined, as his head was still hurting.

More thoughts and observations on Whole30:  JC's headache reached nearly-migraine proportions by Monday evening.  His caffeine source is Coke Zero, which is a no-no on Whole30.   I think part of the headache is caffeine withdrawal, and part of it is that his body is shifting from depending on a quick hit of carbs, to burning fat and stored fat in his body.   They talk about this in the Whole30 - apparently many people experience this in the first week.

I also think lack of calories is contributing to the headache:  he doesn't eat breakfast.   He eats out for lunch, and he probably has not had enough fat and protein to fuel his body.   He had some cashews in the afternoon, before dinner, and a lot of water to drink.

Whole30 says you're supposed to stick to regular meals, but I'd be happy if he grazed more.

I experienced some real pangs at the Farmer's Market, when I walked past the pasta aisle, condiments (most contain sugar), the sugar aisle (this was HARD, they have actual brown sugar nuggets, and my Sugar Dragon reared its head to take a good look)... and cheese.  Ohmygod, the cheeses!  I let myself look for a moment, then kept rolling.  I reminded myself that all of this will be waiting for me, in 28 more days.

I found the cravings went away as soon as these things were out of sight.

My biggest craving, strangely enough, has not been for food.   It's been for the bathroom scale.   Interesting, no?   I want so much to weigh myself!  I'm not going to.   Whole30 is about eating more nutritiously, making a lifestyle change, and not emphasizing weight, or weight loss.   I'm going to try and wait for Day 30, as suggested in the program.  But seriously, even as I type this, I can hear the siren song of the scale.

Overall, Day Three was a very good day, and I feel very optimistic, and well-nourished.  And very happy that I have actual coconut milk for my coffee!





0 comments:

Post a Comment

newer post older post